London Office – 0208 106 5397
Midlands Office – 0121 809 5903
Northern Office – 0191 300 9774
South East Office – 023 8202 2152
South West Office – 01173 741 989

Become a High Court Enforcement Officer


We often get asked how to become a High Court Enforcement Officer.

This is not an easy process – as an Authorised High Court Enforcement Officer, you must be suitably experienced and qualified to be appointed by the Lord Chancellor. There is no shortcut or intensive course to become a qualified HCEO; it is 2 years of hard study and at least 2 to 3 years of experience on an apprentice contract with an Authorised High Court Enforcement Officer (AHCEO).

The regulations that govern the appointment of the High Court Enforcement Officers are to be found here:


Amongst the many hurdles include a full Membership of a Professional Body recognised by the Lord Chancellor, which is the High Court Enforcement Officers Association (HCEOA)


You must start as a Student Member and before membership can even be considered you should have ideally had experience of the Enforcement Industry as an Enforcement Agent, Enforcing Writs of Control and have achieved a Level 3 or above Qualification in Taking Control of Goods, Law or Credit Management. You can then work towards gaining a Level 4 Diploma in High Court Enforcement and successfully completing a training contract working inside the organisation of an AHCEO.

A good starting place for you Enforcement Agent training and help getting into the Industry is IES Training.

Once you have gained your Level 3 and gained some experience then you can join the HCEOA as a Student Member and start your training.

You would then need to join the Chartered Institute of Credit Management (CICM) and begin your studies. The Course consists of 8 Assignment based Exams to gain a Level 4 Diploma followed by one final exam.

If you have been able to gain employment with an AHCEO and secure a training contract, then it is important to know you will need to get your logbook completed and signed off by the HCEO. Once all the above is achieved, you will be able to apply for Associate Membership of the HCEOA, which will then lead to being able to apply to the Lord Chancellor for full Authorisation.